We’re proud to support hundreds of people in finding a new career whether new recruits or existing PizzaExpress employees. We’ll be behind you all the way, providing on-the-job training, a qualification accredited by ‘Innovate Awarding’ with a robust support structure. What’s more you will earn the going rate from day one – putting you streets ahead from the word go.
We offer qualifications programmes apprentice schemes to both our existing employees and new joiners. So whether this is a first career, or a later change in direction, your new life could start here. You can train as a Chef, Waiter or Manager.
These trainee roles have the added bonus of getting a recognised qualification, accredited by ‘Innovate Awarding’. We work alongside Lifetime Training, to offer the following schemes levels:
If you would like to join our family in an Apprenticeship role we currently offer two positions of entry:
- Pizzaiolo (Chef) Apprenticeship - Hospitality Team Member - Food Preparation, Level 2.
- Waiter Apprenticeship - Hospitality Team Member - Food & Beverage Service, Level 2.
If you join us as an apprentice we pay you in line with our pay grades for the role you are doing, which is above and beyond the government guideline apprentice wage.
Since 2013, over 500 people have achieved their qualification with a further 250 currently enrolled.
- Employee discount scheme – dine out with your family and friends and receive up to 50% off the bill at most times of the week (25% at other times).
- Employee meals – restaurant employees working shifts over 4 hours long are entitled to a free meal (two meals if the shift is over 8 hours).
- Paid holidays.
- Stakeholder pension scheme – available for all employees to join.
- Maternity, Paternity and Adoption Leave – we offer an enhanced scheme to eligible employees.
- Company sick pay scheme.
- Career breaks – eligible employees can take a ‘sabbatical’ break from work.
- Childcare vouchers – we operate a childcare voucher scheme in line with current rules.
- Health cash plans – we offer a wide range of health schemes through our partner provider.
- Life insurance benefit – after 1 year’s service, employees are entitled to a death-in-service payment of 4 times their average basic earnings.
Training and development
To help you achieve your qualification, you will receive dedicated training from Lifetime Training and ongoing support.
Your in-house training plan will be tailored to your role and cover everything you need to know to be successful including:
- Induction – this will cover areas such as health and food safety, brand standards, our menu, customer service, and how we do different jobs.
- Our core training differs according to role – for example Pizzaiolos practise making each and every item on our menu, learn to ensure they are delivering delicious pizzas in line with our brand standards whereas our waiters focus on great customer service, learning our menu to make great recommendations.
- On-going training – we provide ongoing training to ensure all of our team, managers apprenticeships are kept up to date with new initiatives and menu launches, along with learning new skills.
- Career development – your manager will chat through your career at various times through the year and support your personal development.
Our apprenticeships partner, Lifetime Training, does the first stage of the recruitment process – you can find more details on their website
We also advertise all apprentice roles on the Careers section of the PizzaExpress website. So you can search for opportunities there too. You should apply online for any vacancy you want to be considered for – this process will take you about 10-15 minutes. If your initial application is successful, you will be invited to take part in a 15 minute telephone interview with a member of the Lifetime Training team. If successful at that stage, you will be invited to a face-to-face assessment, consisting of a more in-depth interview and two restaurant-scenario based exercises. Finally, you will be contacted to let you know the outcome.
Your face-to-face assessment will normally be in the restaurant you have applied to work at. However, sometimes it will be in a nearby restaurant – especially if you have applied to a planned new restaurant, yet to open.
Right to work in the UK
Please bring the following documents with you on your assessment day, as well as a colour photocopy of each that we will keep for our files:
- Proof of your National Insurance number (i.e. National Insurance Card, P60, a P45 dated within the last 3 months, or a letter issued by HMRC or your previous employer).
- A valid passport, plus colour copies of both front cover and main page OR
- A full birth certificate (if born in the UK or Northern Ireland) OR
- An identity card (European countries only), with copies of both front and back.
- Proof of your right to work in the UK.
(e.g. a visa, or worker registration scheme letter for European A8 Countries’ nationals only, or Blue/Yellow registration card for Croatian nationals only)
All supporting documents need to be valid and in date. If your name on your passport or other document is different to your current name, please bring proof of your name change (e.g. marriage certificate or name change by deed poll document).
Unfortunately, we will not be able to make any offer of employment and you will not be eligible to work for PizzaExpress until you have provided the appropriate ID and eligibility information. Also, if you don’t bring these documents with you to your assessment, we will have to rearrange it to a later date.
Further Qualifications at PizzaExpress
When you are up and running with us and ready to develop in your role or onto your next role you will have the opportunity of joining further qualifications
- Team Leading – Level 2 (Restaurants and Restaurant Support)
- Hospitality Supervisor – Food & Beverage Supervisor Level 3
- Senior Production Chef – Level 3
- Hospitality Manager – Food & Beverage Manager Level 4 & Kitchen Manager Level 4
- Customer Service Practitioner – Level 2
- Business Administration – Level 2 & 3
- ILM Supervisor – Level 3
- ILM Operations – Level 5 (application only, Operations and Restaurant Support)